What is the Aggie Leadership Training Academy?
The Aggie Leadership Training Academy program is a staff leadership certification program for NMSU personnel currently in supervisory and higher level management positions. The program is managed by the Human Resource Services Center for Learning & Professional Development (CLPD) with advisory oversight by the ALTA Task force.
The Aggie Leadership Training Academy is a unique opportunity for discovering your personal leadership capacities to support the University’s strategic priorities and diversity goals. Participants meet monthly. Sessions include facilitated group dialogues, guest speakers, activities, and exercises. The setting is safe and respectful, yet challenging. Those selected for the program will develop their leadership capacities to effectively interact with members of our university community and build open, dynamic, and respectful working and learning environments.
ALTA Program Goal
The goal of the Aggie Leadership Training Academy is to build knowledge and skills needed to develop critical leadership competencies required for higher level leadership positions at NMSU.
ALTA Program Outcomes
The Aggie Leadership Training Academy utilizes a blend of presentations by renowned experts, interaction with university executive leaders and faculty leadership, select reading and reflection, group projects, and interaction with cohort members to provide a well-rounded learning and development experience. Participants in the program will…
- Develop leadership competencies
- Acquire tools and skills to help build inclusive working, teaching, living, or learning environments
- Improve interaction and communication skills
- Discover positive approaches to resolving conflict
- Build an environment that promotes collaboration
- Develop confidence in personal leadership abilities
ALTA Program Competencies
The program focuses on thirteen (13) select Leadership Competencies. These competencies form the basis of the NMSU Aggie Leadership Training Academy.
- Change Leadership
- Conflict Management
- Customer Focus
- Developing Others
- Ethics and Integrity
- Influencing Others
- Interpersonal Skills
- Organizational Awareness
- Personal Credibility
- Relationship Building
- Team Leadership
- Vision and Strategic Thinking
ALTA Program Sessions
The Aggie Leadership Training Academy is conducted over a twelve (12) month period. The number of sessions and session length is determined by the amount of time needed to adequately present the various subjects within each topic. The first session will serve to orient the participants and will include details of the program, schedule, participant expectations, and completion requirements. The final session will be a graduation ceremony to acknowledge participants that successfully completed the program and include a presentation by the program cohort on the final group project.
The following topics are included in the program. The order of presentation is determined prior to the beginning of the program year.
- The History and Development of New Mexico State University
- NMSU Vision 2020 and Strategic Planning
- Building Alliances and Caring Communities
- Conflict Resolution and Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Emotional Intelligence, Well-being, and Mindfulness
- Ethics, Service, and Community
- Leading Change and Developing Others
- Effective Communication and Team Leadership
- The Leadership Challenge
- Cultural Diversity and Organizational Success
Who will be considered for the Aggie Leadership Training Academy?
The Aggie Leadership Training Academy is a staff leadership program. To be considered for the program, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Supervisor level or above
- Classified as Staff
- One (1) year or more regular employment at NMSU
- Preference will be given to applicants with one (1) or more regular, full-time employee direct reports
- Makes department level decisions
- Has department-level budget involvement
- Develops and directs department initiatives, strategies, and goals
To apply, visit the Aggie Leadership Training Academy Application Instructions webpage.
ALTA Participant Expectations
The ALTA program consists of multiple training sessions and graduation. Each session builds on the previous session, so attendance is critical to building the required competencies needed to successfully complete the program. Successful completion of the Aggie Leadership Training Academy program will be recognized with a Certificate of Completion. Selected participants will be expected to…
- Attend all sessions and be an integral and active participant in the program
- Complete assignments and be prepared to discuss during group interactions
Leadership programming for faculty and department heads is offered through the NMSU Teaching Academy. For more information on the Advancing Leaders Program (ALP) and the Department Head Academy, please visit http://teaching.nmsu.edu/ or contact Shawn Werner at 575-646-2583 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
NMSU is dedicated to providing equal opportunities in areas of employment and academics without regard to age, ancestry, color, disability, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, serious medical condition, sex, sexual orientation, spousal affiliation or protected veteran status as outlined in federal and state anti-discrimination statutes. As a federal contractor, NMSU’s affirmative action program also supports this effort.